Monday, May 6, 2019

The Unteachables by Gordon Korman

The UnteachablesMy name is Kiana, and I'm in a special class for delinquents. I can't tell my dad or stepmom about it now, since I got the wrong schedule and never told them I'm not officially enrolled in school. Our "teacher", Mr. Kermit, hasn't taught us anything yet and spends his time doing crossword puzzles. The other six kids don't mind ignoring his worksheets, but I can't believe he doesn't even try to teach us. However, a new teacher is in the room next door, and she seems to know Mr. Kermit from way back. I think he may have dated her mom! He doesn't usually care about us, but I was impressed at how he fought to get Barnstorm back on the football team and how he was ticked that our room wasn't included in Spirit Week. Something happened to him a long time ago, and maybe there's more to Mr. Kermit than I thought.

A misfit teacher "leads" a misfit band of students to perform a great deed. The antics of the eighth-grade students are funny, although I wouldn't describe the book as hilarious. One student has anger issues, another is obsessed with sci-fi, and one girl is feared by everyone in school. In contrast, Kiana would be a great student if she attended a regular classroom. It creates an unusual blend. Each chapter is told through the eyes of a different person, mostly the students, and it works for this book. Each character has a unique background that affects the way they react to Mr. Kermit and school, and Mr. Kermit has his own issues. The central conflict is with the superintendent, as Mr. Kermit feels he was treated unfairly for a student's dishonesty. And he was. Mr. Kermit has mentally given up on teaching, although there are signs that deep down he still has feelings for his students. He's unmotivated to do anything constructive, but the new teacher next door becomes a catalyst for change, as does a former student. Overall, it was a wonderful book, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.