Saturday, August 20, 2016

Travels With Gannon and Wyatt: Hawaii by Patti Wheeler and Keith Hemstreet

Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: HawaiiMy name is Wyatt. My brother and I came to Hawaii to learn about its culture, but we now find ourselves drawn into an adventure concerning King Kamehameha the Great. He ruled the islands in the early 1800's, but his sacred burial site has been hidden since he died. Our adventure started when my brother jumped off the rocks into the churning Pacific waves to save a drowning man. Before being taken to the hospital in critical condition, he gave us an old map and said there was danger. We think the map may lead us to King Kamehameha's remains, but what is the danger? We suspect the man in the ocean may have been pushed, and some strange things have been happening. Gannon thinks we're being cursed by spirits, but we need to help protect King Kamehameha from land developers. However, we may be in over our heads.


The plot is pretty straight-forward as I describe above. While enjoyable, this kind of book is not my cup of tea. I like adventures, and I like learning about new places. However, combining the two doesn't always work for me. This book teaches many interesting facts about Hawaii and its culture, but they're sometimes in your face. It's like the plot momentarily pauses, so information can be shared. I prefer to have the information blended more with the events. With that being said, there are many positive aspects to the book. It can be easily read, it includes excitement and suspense, and it takes place in Hawaii. I assume the rest of the series has a similar format, just different locations. This book will appeal to readers who enjoy a bit of mystery and learning about other cultures. Hey, it's Hawaii! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.