Monday, June 18, 2018

Captain Superlative by J.S. Puller

Captain SuperlativeMy name is Janey, and my life changed forever the day Captain Superlative appeared in the school's hallway. I always tried to go unnoticed, but Captain Superlative ran around in her leotards, mask, and cape helping classmates by opening doors, picking up books, and creating study guides for tests. She said small deeds are just as important as big ones, and I listened. Her most dangerous deed was to protect Paige from Dagmar, the top student, best cheerleader, soccer star, and the seventh grade's biggest bully. Captain Superlative challenged Dagmar with truth and kindness, and none of us knew how to react. Then one day, I stood up to Dagmar too. What was I thinking?! My dad was proud of me, and Captain Superlative asked me to become her sidekick. Seriously?! I was shocked and terrified when I agreed to her request, and I just knew I'd become the bully's next target.

This book isn't like my usual adventurous tales of speculative fiction, but it tells a special story. The prologue begins the mystique, as the characters talk about Captain Superlative in the past tense. She's gone, and everyone is devastated. Then, the plot begins with Captain Superlative's first day of school and students calling her a weird freak. It creates an interesting contrast to start readers wondering. Janey's still dealing with her mother's death from three years ago, and she doesn't want to draw attention to herself. That's a common feeling among middle grade students, so they don't open themselves to teasing. Captain Superlative shows up in the plot spreading help and kindness to others and forces Janey to question why that's strange. What's wrong with being good and nice? Janey's character transforms in many positive ways, although she refuses to wear a superhero uniform or change her name. As the plot progresses, readers will learn there's more to Dagmar's anger than meets the eye, and it becomes clear that something is physically wrong with Captain Superlative. Janey seems to be the last one to know. Captain Superlative is a warm, heart-felt book that I can strongly recommend for your reading pleasure. With that being said, be prepared for an emotional ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.