Monday, June 10, 2019

Fourmile by Watt Key

FourmileMy name is Foster, and I knew Dax was no good. He's lazy, drinks too much, and scares me whenever he comes to see my mom. I don't blame Joe for wanting to bite him, but I'm afraid Dax will kill him someday. Then, Gary showed up. He was walking all the way to Texas, but he's been staying in our barn for a couple of weeks. He said he fought in Afghanistan, and Joe and I trust him. Dax doesn't. Gary's been helping to clean things up around here, since my mom wants to sell the farm and move away. I look forward to waking up every day to help him. Mom says he's keeping secrets about his past, and she's afraid I'm getting too close. I can't help it; I feel safe when he's around. Looking back now, I should have known that danger and pain were inevitable.

This book evoked some heavy emotions. Foster was still coping with the death of his father, as more about the incident was revealed later in the story. Dax introduced a level of danger to Foster, his mom, and his dog. While Gary brought a calming effect to Foster, his presence worsened the situation with Dax. These emotional journeys were the backbone of the plot. Foster lacked motivation to behave like a normal kid, and this left him isolated and alone. His one friend was his dog. With Gary's help, he slowly transformed and learned to deal with his issues. I'll admit there was sadness, so be prepared to be affected. I won't say everyone lived happily ever after, but they got on with their stories. Overall, I can recommend this book to readers looking for an emotional drama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.