Tuesday, June 11, 2019

The Football Girl by Thatcher Heldring

The Football GirlMy name is Tessa, and my life entering high school is getting complicated. Caleb and I have done things together for years, but he's now my boyfriend. He knows I'm a great cross-country runner, but he admits I also have the skills to play football. However, I don't think he wants me to play on the high school team next year. I really want to try out. I need to make up for my dropped touchdown pass in the flag football title game, plus my mom is against me playing football. She's running for mayor and wants to control my life, but she can't stop me now. Voters know about me. I wish everyone would stop worrying about me getting hurt, and I wish Caleb would be more supportive. This is something I need to do. I need a victory.

The summary above tells you all you need to know about the book. I never had a concern with girls wanting to play for our school football team, but it's been an issue in public schools for many years. Tessa's mom is a big problem, as her parents are often too busy to show interest in her. Tessa feels a little isolated, since no one is openly supportive. The conflict is a common one, as she wants to make her own choices, not necessarily the ones others want. Caleb's brother doesn't want to become part of the family business, and Caleb realizes he may be headed toward similar decisions. Dealing with parental expectations is hard. The book is told alternately through the eyes of Tessa and Caleb, so readers can understand the confusing thoughts going through their minds. Caleb has the additional problem of trying to figure out how to function with his first girlfriend. Again, this is a common experience for middle grade students. Overall, the story will be relatable to most readers, and you should give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.