Saturday, February 15, 2020

Maybe He Just Likes You by Barbara Dee

Maybe He Just Likes YouMy name is Mila, and I'm slowing realizing I have a problem. I know seventh grade boys are weird, so I wasn't sure what to think when some basketball players wanted to hug me. One of them said it was for good luck, but they've been making me feel very uncomfortable. After the incident on the bus ride home from school, I know other people are noticing too. However, I'm embarrassed to tell my friends, and I think Zara is getting mad at me. Maybe I'm overreacting. I've told the boys to stop touching me, but now I know they won't. Callum and Dante made that clear during band. My mom seems stressed about her job and her new boss, so I can't bother her. 

This book was a finalist for the 2019 Cybil's Book Award in Middle-Grade Fiction. Its primary audience is middle-grade girls, although middle-grade boys should read it too. I'm doubtful it will appeal to the boys. The theme of the book is sexual harassment even though it's not given that label until late in the book. Mila feels uncomfortable with how the boys are treating her, but she doesn't understand how to deal with the problem. Is it teasing or flirting, or something more? Her reluctance to seek help allows the problem to grow, and one friend suggests that she's partly to blame or she's over-reacting. These situations and reactions are common for females of all ages, so the topic is very relatable for everyone. The author is able to evoke emotions from readers that will allow you to empathize with Mila's plight. The attacks seem small in isolation, but the seriousness grows as they accumulate. She feels lost, desperate, and alone. Ironically, she's most urged into action by a boy she knows and a girl she barely speaks to. The climax to the plot was unexpected, but effective. Overall, the story was compelling, and I recommend you check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.