Saturday, February 15, 2020

Operation Frog Effect by Sarah Scheerger

Operation Frog EffectMy name is Emily, and fifth grade is going to be a disaster! Our teacher Ms. Graham says we can't change seats all year, and I didn't get to sit in a group with my best friends. Her teaching style is a little strange, like having a class frog, but I like some parts of it. I got elected to the class council, so I get to decide any new class rules. I used to miss sitting by Aviva, but the change has made me meet new classmates who I really like. Sharon and Cecilia are really cool, although I wish they'd talked me out of my idea for the class project. I should have known it was really dangerous and wouldn't end well.  However, I never would have imagined how it might affect Ms. Graham. Some parents are making it into a huge problem for her, and I know I have to do something to help. 

This book was a finalist for the 2019 Cybil's Book Award in Middle-Grade Fiction. The frog in the title refers to the classroom pet. The most notable feature of the story is that it's told from the journals of various fifth grade students using different genres. It shares a myriad of personalities that span those found in common classrooms. They include a high-achiever,  a shy/quiet girl, a class clown, and a mental bully. Readers can experience the assorted points of view and hopefully find a connection with one of them. However, I found it more difficult to identify with one character due to the constant changes. Emily was the main character, but her story alternated with seven other classmates. I found the second half of the book more enjoyable, as the students developed a common purpose. This made their stories flow together better, plus the issue was pretty serious. The book addressed many current social issues like poverty, immigration, access to education, and homelessness. Overall, the book made me think, which is the sign of a good story. I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.