Saturday, February 15, 2020

Song for a Whale by Lynne Kelly

Song for a WhaleMy name is Iris, and I know I have to do something to help Blue 55. He's a hybrid humpback whale, so his song is at a decibel level that other whales don't understand. It forces him to travel the ocean alone since he can't communicate with other whales. I have a similar problem with some non-deaf people. Scientists are trying to tag Blue 55 at a Sanctuary in Alaska, so I emailed a woman there named Andi. That gave me an idea. What if I came up with a song for Blue 55 to show him he's not alone? I talked to our school's music teacher, and he thought it was a great idea. Other students helped out, and now I have a perfect song for Blue 55. But how will I get him to hear it? And I can't explain my feelings, but I just need to be there when he does. 

This book was a finalist for the 2019 Cybil's Book Award in Middle-Grade Fiction. The most unique aspect of this story was the fact that Iris and her grandmother were deaf. Communication with non-deaf characters sometimes frustrated Iris, and she hated when she was underestimated by strangers. She was a tech-wizard and loved repairing antique radios, a very unique hobby for a middle-grade student. The story promoted the importance of conserving wildlife, with a focus on whales. It shared many facts about whales including their different water spouts, migration, and feeding habits. In addition, the book includes details about sign language and communication between the deaf and hearing communities. Iris was quite resourceful. A subplot dealt with Iris's desire to attend a middle school for the deaf along with her best friend. Her parents didn't feel she was responsible enough, but the issues went deeper than that. Overall, this book was very entertaining and enlightening, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.