Saturday, February 15, 2020

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Geminhart

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote SunriseMy name is Coyote, and Rodeo and I have been driving around the country in an old school bus for the past five years. I can't ever let Rodeo hear me call him dad, since he doesn't want to think about what happened. I miss my mom and sisters too, and I can't let bulldozers ruin my memories. I've got four days to figure out a way to get Rodeo to drive us back to Washington State. We've added a diverse group of passengers along the way, and I hope they'll help me in my quest. The mapping app on their cellphones has helped me calculate our driving time, and I think we'll have a few hours to spare. If nothing unexpected happens. Rodeo's going to start suspecting something's fishy, if he doesn't already, but I've got to get home before it's too late. 

This book was the winner of the 2019 Cybil's Book Award in Middle-Grade Fiction. My favorite part of the book was Coyote's character. I felt sorry for her, as Rodeo's difficulties in dealing with death made it harder for Coyote to handle it. However, the girl had spunk, compassion, and determination. She had no trouble meeting strangers and was more than willing to help them with their issues. There were Latinos fleeing an abusive situation, a black man caught between his girlfriend and his career, and a runaway teenager trying to cope with her identity. Coyote's need to return home was always at the center of the plot. Some readers might disagree with Rodeo's parenting style, but I have a different spin on that. Coyote was a phenomenal girl, and that grew from Rodeo's role as her father. He was a good person. His mind chose to avoid death, but he displayed an empathy for others and Coyote knew she was loved. The manner in which the author chose to handle death opens the door for discussion and thought, which are positive things. Overall, this book was my top choice for the 2019 Cyblis Award, and I highly recommend you give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.