Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Boy on the Porch by Sharon Creech

The Boy On The Porch
Published by HarperCollins
Nominated by Stacy Dillon 
 
This book is being considered for a Cybil's award. One day, Marta and John find a young boy sleeping in a chair on their porch. They don't know who left him, and the boy can't/won't talk at all. He seems to communicate by tapping, and the animals on the farm are able to understand him. The boy, the man and woman named him Jacob, is very creative, and he's able to make music and art from anything given to him. Marta and John finally decide they must search for Jacob's parents, and things begin to change.

The plot was easy to read, but it had a mystique that kept me wanting more. I kept wondering about why the boy couldn't talk and what he really wanted to say. I wanted to know where he came from and why he was left with the couple. I really enjoyed the love shown by Marta and John toward this frustating little boy. The main thing I didn't like was when I was left wondering at the end. I had many questions left unanswered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.